Sunday, April 15, 2012

Comfortable Security

Comfortable Security


Isn't that soooo true? My best times are always spent with old friends. It's not that vast of a list, but it does include my husband since I've known him since I was 18, my mom, my in-laws, my aunt, my kids, my best friends from 7th grade through high school, a friend who was my PTSA co-president, an old neighbor and her husband, and a few newer "old" friends too. When I'm with these people, I'm in such a relaxed state of mind that I'm able to enjoy each and every moment. When I'm with these friends I can be completely "me" without fear of judgement or ridicule... An old friend is a bit like a favorite  t-shirt or pair of jeans- those go-to clothing items that we've had for years, that fit us perfectly, that make us feel totally ourselves, that are comfortable and undemanding... My favorite old t-shirt is a J.Crew faded-red v-neck with a lovely shade of green paint decorating the right shoulder. It's practically threadbare, but I love it too much to get rid of it. My favorite "old" jeans are Dish Jeans and a newer purchase. I could live in these jeans and feel like I've had them forever. My favorite old shoes are a pair of silver and black Havaiana flip-flops... I think I've actually formed an emotional bond with these pieces... The t-shirt dress featured in the set above reminds me of that perfect old piece of clothing that we love and can never get rid of. It's basic, can be dressed up or down, incredibly comfortable and undemanding, just like an old friend. So maybe I'll finally get rid of that old red t-shirt for a new t-shirt dress and those Havaianas for those gladiators.  Or maybe I'll just buy those new items and add them to the list of favorite old friends... One can never have too many friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment