Saturday, April 21, 2012

Flip-Flops...

Flip-Flops...


When I was in California in February, I heard a man yell to his family, "Take your thongs off when you walk on the beach! You'll be more comfortable!" The visual that went through my head made me laugh out loud! I posted his quote on facebook and realized that these summer essentials are called by all different names. One of my friends calls them slippers, another still calls them thongs. I prefer flip-flops or Havaianas.. Whatever you call them, I don't know a single person who doesn't love them! I think I've always owned at least one pair since the early 70s if not numerous pairs... They come in practically every color in a Pantone color guide!!! (Slight exaggeration.) And they're usually quite cheap so it's easy to have more than one pair... And get this, they're the oldest form of footwear being worn today! At least 5000 years old... To think that King Tut was walking around in brightly colored rubber flip-flops makes me smile... :) Okay fine, his were probably made of papyrus or something. Maybe even gold.. Lovely to look at but incredible uncomfortable... 
The 1st American versions of flip-flops came to us after WWII and were modeled after the Japanese style Zori. But it wasn't until after the Korean War in the 1950s that they gained popularity. They defined an informal lifestyle and eventually represented the Californian look and even more specifically, the California surfing culture... And I for one, couldn't be happier about it.
Thank you, Ancient Egyptians. Your design has stood the test of time and I am forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment